COLLABORATIVE CONVERSATIONS WORKSHEET*
*Excerpted from COLLABORATION SOUP by Delia Horwitz and Paula Vigneault
STEP 1. READY TO GO.
It all begins with identifying your potential win-win business relationships.
• Who will you invite?
• Set time & location.
STEP 2. ENGAGE YOUR POTENTIAL PARTNER.
This involves inviting him or her to a convenient location.
• Think about and plan what questions you will ask to identify possible win-win opportunities
• Do you need to bring any business info to share?
STEP 3. COOK THE CONVERSATION.
This is where you will both determine if you have shared values and needs or skills that you both can benefit from sharing. This can be a brainstorming session to see if your ideas can blend and create a whole greater than the sum of your parts.
• Be transparent and create safety.
o Be honest about what you need and what you have to offer.
o Describe expectations of what might be done with their information.
• Clarify potential roles & responsibilities.
STEP 4. INTEGRATE BEFORE MOVING ON.
Identify your common themes and celebrate wherever you are in your conversation together.
• Identify common themes, summarize, and keep a record.
STEP 5. PLAN THE ACTION.
Discuss possible next steps and create a plan to implement the outcome of your conversation.
• Establish a framework for action plan, e.g. who, when, what, how, why.
• Confirm next steps, accountability and follow-up.
STEP 6. END WITH CLARITY.
The details are wrapped up.
• Summarize what was gained, learned, or accomplished.
• Determine next meeting time and place if there will be one.